Monday, January 19, 2009

Fabula: De Leone Amatorio



Today's podcast is the audio for one of the fables in Barlow's Aesop: De Leone Amatorio, the story of the lion in love with a woman. You can find out more about this fable - including grammar commentary and English translation - at the Aesopus.Ning.com website.
Leo
Silvani cuiusdam Filiam
perdite amavit
et Patrem Virginis sollicitabat
ut illi Virgo in matrimonium daretur.
Respondebat Silvanus
Filiam
esse tenellam et delicatulam Virginem
et nunquam
hamatos eius ungues dentesque
passuram.
Passus est igitur Leo
dentes et ungues evelli
ut Virgine frueretur.
Quod cum vidisset Pater,
fustibus illi involabat
et longius imbellem abigebat.
Here is the illustration of the fable by Francis Barlow:

2 comments:

ConcepciĆ³n said...

I find it very interesting to have the recording of Latin texts, but the pronounciation is too influenced by English.

Laura Gibbs said...

Hi ConcepciĆ³n! Please let me know where I can listen to your Latin audio recordings online. I am sure I would enjoy them very much! At the same time, I disagreee very much with the attitude you have expressed here. I admit that my pronunciation shows my American accent: so what? When I speak Polish or Italian with an American accent, people in Poland and Italy understand what I am saying, and they are much more tolerant of a foreign-sounding accent than you are. It is because of comments like yours that many Latin students are terrified to speak Latin out loud (a fear which then impedes their ability to learn). I clearly have a very different opinion about Latin pronunciation than you do: Latin is a dead language, so, if ANYBODY is speaking it for any reason, anywhere, in any style, that is a very good sign indeed. Meanwhile, I hope you will send me a link to your Latin audio recordings online. I always enjoy listening to the different styles of Latin pronunciation that people use.